Thursday, September 22, 2016

From 500 to 2,000

Of course to a lot of people the difference between 500 and 2,000 is 1,500 and that is the difference in my writing total over the last couple of years. I started in 2013 tracking how many words a day that I could write and I have say that I was always excited when I was able to write around 500 words a day. It was something that I know that I had to work hard at doing.

I have been looking at my tracking for my word count and have seen that in 2013 there were lots of days when the low word count was 0 and the high through the entire 2013 was 2,642. That was something that I was extremely happy to see when I could get past some of those writing on average the 500 words a day.

I have continued to track my writing on a daily basis as I am determined to ensure that I can write every day and also try and improve where I have been overall in the last few years. As I am writing this blog I am on day 977 (August 28th) of continual writing and that makes me very happy.

Here is how my writing has progressed over the last few years.
 


Daily low
Daily high
Average monthly high
2013
0
2642
640.23
2014
252
2443
1387.84
2015
222
5017
2197.06
2016
798
6203
2199.1
What is nice is seeing that I can sometimes explain why the low is so bad. In 2015 I had a low of 222 words and I can remember that day extremely well. That was in October and I was working at a polling station for the Federal election. We had been told to bring things to do in case we had some slow time. At the location where I was stationed we didn’t have a lot of slow time so there wasn’t time to sit and write or do most other things. By the time I got home I had no energy so the writing that I did that day was what I was able to do first thing in the morning before heading out for the day at the polling station.

I have seen some very interesting highs and lows and that is something that I have been enjoying doing. I have continued to increase my daily goal from 500 to 750 to now 1,500 per day. What is interesting is how I am seeing that through 2016 I have been able to write over 2,000 words a day for all but January. I am going to continue to see how I do for the rest of the year as I would love to see totals that are what I had no idea that I could do. The nicest thing that I saw this year was when I achieved the 6,203 words in a day. This was actually achieved while sitting with others around me and they noticed that I had kept writing for quite a while so they asked me what I was doing. I let them know that I had been writing some blogs and just general journaling. By the end of the day I was able to let them know that I have achieved a lot of writing in the time I had spent sitting in an office environment just doing my own thing.

I continue to write each day as that really helps me deal with a lot of things. Yes, I write for work and also pleasure and that is what I can say I enjoy. There are days when blogs just seem to happen and then there are days when writing can be very interesting because a lot of just general notes got written. Writing for me is something that I really enjoy doing and of course there are things that I am working on that may never see the light of day and then there are the other things that get posted as blogs or pages on my website.

To write on a daily basis shouldn’t be a challenge. If it is something that you find hard just try writing a few words each day and then see how it goes. You may find that you enjoy doing it or you may not but if you don’t try you will never know. From 500 to 2,000 and now to see where it goes from here, only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment