Monday, June 18, 2012

Journaling - paper versus computer

Journaling is a process of documenting thoughts, activities, and memories.  A journal can be done so many different ways, and it all depends on the purpose of a journal.  Some individuals keep paper journals, while others use a computer as their method of keeping their journals.  If a computer is used some use specific software, some publish their journals for others to read while others keep their journals as a document on their computer for private viewing.  There is no right or wrong method of journaling, as it is an individual preference.

Some of my journaling is done on the computer and is available for others to read and some is done on paper as they are my personal thoughts and I want them to remain private.  One advantage of using paper is it can be done anywhere and is quickly available.  It some instances, entries that have originated on paper have later been entered on the computer and are available to others.

Journaling to me is a method of tracking my thoughts, activities and memories.  In some cases a journal can be used to assist in resolving issues while other times it can be a great venting location, especially if it's a private journal.  A journal is whatever an individual wants it to be.

If a journal is on a computer, and you want it to remain private, a password would be suggested to ensure no one can access it.  If a journal is accessible to others, they could read it and even let others read it or make it public, or it's important to protect your journal if you want it kept private.

A paper journal if left out is accessible to others, so that is also something to consider.  The privacy of journals depends on the people around you.  I keep journals in various methods, and I know that even my paper journal is private as I trust those around me to leave it unless I want them to see something and I will show them.

Journaling can be a means of escaping and writing about dreams, or it can be a method of capturing ideas.  Paper versus computer is an individual choice, the same as public versus private.

Know what you want your journal to be, and then enjoy your time writing in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment