Sunday, April 29, 2012

Challenges continue

This past week I decided to go to a couple of shows which I normally enjoy going to and seeing all the new ideas of things that I can do.  This time it was a different experience and one that I wasn't too happy about.  This year, it was seeing all the things that I currently cannot do while wearing the splint.

Both shows made me realize how much I really do with my hands and how much this splint is impacting my daily life.  The challenges continue and are sometimes harder than other times.  Trying to open a childproof bottle that doesn't want to be opened with one hand.  Yes, those are some of the things that I have had to deal with over the last little while.  Little things that don't seem like much to most people, but when you can't use one of your thumbs, you find out how hard it can be. 

Other challenges are trying to pick up pieces of paper with my left hand, putting on a necklace, and even tying my own shoelaces.  These are things that we do on a normal basis and don't think much about but try doing these things without your prime thumb.

Each challenge that I encounter shows me a different way to handle the simple things.  Sometimes it's a quick solution and another time it takes a little longer to figure out how to accomplish something.  The challenges are going to continue over the next few weeks and I know that, but the one thing I can say it these challenges are going temporary.

Think of what you face each day and think of people that have permanent disabilities and think of how they face their challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment